The wacky misadventures of my life. Also known as, I have no one to talk to other than my computer. But Doogie Howser did it, so it's got to be cool, right?

Saturday, October 14, 2006

PoHo = poor Hollywood

Last night, I went over to Kelson's apartment that he just moved into, which is less than a mile away! This is very exciting, as it seems like the kinda place where there are a lot of people coming and going, and everyone was really nice and interesting. It reminded me a lot of my Berkeley co-op days.

I guess I technically live in Koreatown, which is basically anything off Western Avenue between sandwiched between the 101 and the 10. To the left of me are posh neighborhoods: West Hollywood, Fairfax, Beverly Hills, Larchmont. To the right of me are poorer neighborhoods, heading towards Downtown, Silverlake, Echo Park. Kelson's neighborhood, just a mile away, is a primarily Mexican neighborhood. With just a couple blocks away was a hipsterish bike non-profit and shop, cafe serving the neighboring Los Angeles Community College, and Scoops, a nummy yummy ice cream shop with the nicest owner and unique flavors handmade everyday such as "brown bread" and "mango champagne".

I think it just struck me as such a contrast from some of the other people I've met here. These people bike 45 minutes to work, make there own stuff, experiment with art, cooking, etc. Whereas with my cousin's friends I sometimes feel like the poor, unstylish fish out of water. I guess it's just the Berkeley/Oakland gal raised by upper middle class Jewish yuppies. Oh, the inner turmoil of it all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home