The wacky misadventures of my life. Also known as, I have no one to talk to other than my computer. But Doogie Howser did it, so it's got to be cool, right?

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Five Minutes

Once a month at the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater in Los Angeles that I seem to go to once or twice a week is an open-mic night. People sign-up at 10:30 by putting there names in a bucket, with only ten drawn. As the ten are picked out of the bucket, they sign up for whatever slot they want in that order (so that way, it is somewhat by chance who has to go first). Because more than ten people sign up, some don't even get to go at all. Everyone gets 5 minutes with the lights flashing at 4 minute to warn you and the music at 5 minutes to drag you off stage. Last night, I was one of the names in that bucket, one of the names picked, and the 7th to go up there (lucky number and all, I figured). Of course, while going on stage to jot down my name I tripped a little, and the dude before me stole the pen.

I had planned on doing this about a month ago, but didn't want to invite anyone in case my name wasn't even picked and I didn't want to tell anyone, because, frankly, I am embarassed. I have never had some dream to be a comedian; I just thought it would be a good forum to test out my writing and have immediate feedback, and it would be fun. I got to nervously pace around my apartment for about 12 hours prior, only to watch Chris have a hilarious bout of sympathy nerves for me right before.

The final assessment of the performance was nothing but positive. Chris said I didn't appear nervous (at least distractingly so). The laugh-o-meter (in my head) tied the greatest laughs between myself and two others, but Chris and I honestly think in the end I came out on top for consistant big laughs. The host had nothing but positive things to say about me in his between-set banter. It was ridiculously exciting. I have no idea now what I'm going to do with this. I could find another place to perform in, I suppose. Really, I have no idea. I think now I just need to let all my crazy thoughts settle into my brain.

In other news, I checked out this book of Disney art with disappointing information but great reproductions (as it should; it like is two feet tall and must weigh 25 pounds). All it does is make me want to watch every Disney thing ever. I had to settle yesterday with special features on the Parent Trap dvd. But Maureen O'Hara (the mom in the movie) is quite the looker, if I may say so. The classic Mills, not the Lohan, version, duh. Maybe I will go back to the library today and see if they have any Disney dvds to check out. I really want to watch Pinnochio. Did you know it was the second animated feature from them? I didn't. Also, they have a lot of the Silly Symphonies on youtube (see my myspace for the first and always classic, The Skeleton Dance).

What really sucked is about an hour before I had to leave for the show last night, I found Rob's best friend Alfred writing all these passive insults about me on thefacebook. So I AIMed him about it, asking him to stop. I just don't get why he hates me so much. Rob and I are still friends, so why does his friend get to call me a bitch and apparently worse. Also, I didn't know he felt this way so it came as quite the blow. But I guess now I know so that is good. Not that it really affects my life, but it still hurts. As long as Rob and I are friends, I guess I shouldn't give a shit abotu what his lame friend thinks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sasha said...

hey dude, sorry about the compooter probs last night. sounds like it went fabulously tho--its very exciting! makes me happy.
yaay

4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home